This is the question each student must ask themselves. Southwestern Advantage wants to make sure the program is right for you and you are right for the program.
Students who tend to do well are goal-oriented, success driven and self-motivated. A large part of the program is not about sales at all. It is about attitude, being service-minded and developing personal growth and life skills.
Sales is a means to an end for a college student. No one really goes to college with the intention to be a sales person. While a noble profession, it is simply not a major field of study offered at many campuses (although that will probably change in the future, as more campuses are beginning to offer it). Sales does, however, promote many disciplines that translate to all other professional areas of study.
The Southwestern Advantage Summer Internship Program creates a unique skill set valued by employers. It is also a unique program that will set you apart from other job candidates upon graduation.
- Am I coachable?
- Do I take instruction well from others?
- Will I work hard?
- Will I study hard?
- Do I adapt to changes?
- Have I been able to overcome adversity in my past?
- Do I take on a challenging situation?
- Am I goal-oriented?
- Can I stay focused?
- Do I care what others say or think about me?
- Do I let my emotions run me, or do I run my emotions?
Welcome to Life 101
As with other tough things in life, the more information you have going in, the better prepared you are for the experience. Southwestern Advantage does our best to set up realistic expectations and provide an accurate portrayal of life on the “bookfield.”
This is done in the information and interview sessions on the school campus and other localities, throughout the selection process, in subsequent meetings and in question and answer discussions with your parents, including a parent –coffee usually held in April.
Challenges are to be expected, such as summer heat, maybe a little rain, and people who are not always happy to see you. Welcome to a crash-course in life. One of the byproducts of The Southwestern Advantage Summer Internship Program is the experience gained by meeting new people, achieving your goals and overcoming obstacles.
The primary expectations are as follow:
- Study hard - study the sales presentations and products so you are informed and gain a conviction for what it is you are doing.
- Work hard - be open to putting in lots of hours and all of the hard work it takes to be successful.
- Be coachable - be open-minded to learning from those that have been successful.